Various - Temporary: Selections From Dunedin's Pop Underground
On the same day Ba Da Bing releases an album by DunedinåÊlegend Hamish Kilgour, the label is honored to presentåÊthe city‰۪s current artists.
The tiny city of Dunedin, located in the Otago Region ofåÊNew Zealand, is synonymous with smart bands, incredible
melodies and a wholly distinct and innovative music.åÊThanks to The Clean, The Chills, The Bats, The Verlaines,
and The Dead C, Dunedin has amassed a worldwide reputationåÊfor innovative music.
Local label Fishrider Records has taken on the missionåÊof compiling and producing an album that casts a light towardåÊthe Dunedin of today. These bands have all createdåÊtheir own sound away from the shadow of their city‰۪s past,åÊyet like many of their predecessors they retain the air ofåÊslightly disturbed melancholia along with a sense of
space and distance from the rest of the world. WhetheråÊit is dark synth-pop, teen angst noise pop, guitar-and-organåÊjangle, or all-out psychedelic weirdness, these songsåÊall come from a place on the edge of the world where theåÊyoung still read books in abundance and fend off boredomåÊby creating music and art in cold houses. Yet again, an extraordinaryåÊnumber of incredible groups are populatingåÊthe scene, and the songs on Temporary are the best of theåÊbest‰ÛÓa Dunedin Double Plus Good, if you will.
1. Mavis Gary - Dim the Droog
2. Death & the Maiden - Flowers for the Blind
3. The Prophet Hens - All Over the World
4. Males - Dead Aware
5. Mr Biscuits - My Plums Are Ripe
6. Opposite Sex - Supermarket
7. Strange Harvest - Amnesia
8. The Shifting Sands - All the Stars
9. Astro Children - Gaze
10. Kane Strang - Winded
11. Bad Sav - Buy Something New
12. Scattered Brains of the Lovely Union -åÊParty to Your Om
13. Trick Mammoth - Home Video