Beck - Song Reader
The now legendary Beck, Song Reader--twenty Beck compositions previously released exclusively as stunningly illustrated sheet music in partnership with McSweeney’s—will receive a long awaited traditional release on July 29, when Warby Parker/Capitol Records issues the Beck Song Reader compilation album, produced by Beck and Randall Poster, known for his music supervision work with directors Wes Anderson, Martin Scorsese, Sam Mendes and many others. Warby Parker will commemorate the release of Song Reader by reissuing limited-edition Carmichael frames created in collaboration with Beck, this time in Black Cherry—as well as a new edition of the Song Reader book, featuring two new prints from artist Marcel Dzama.
The 20-track all-star collection features exclusively recorded versions of Song Reader charts by the likes of Jack White, Jeff Tweedy, David Johansen, Jason Isbell, Fun., Eleanor Friedberger, and several more including Beck himself.
The Warby Parker release of Beck Song Reader marks the first officially recorded incarnation of the project, which has already inspired interpretations from hundreds of musicians the world over. The record includes the studio-quality debut of songs previously only played live either by Beck himself or at one of the handful of Song Reader concerts staged over the last two years. The most recent of these was presented by the L.A. Philharmonic in partnership with McSweeney’s and Warby Parker at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles on November 24, 2013. Described by The Los Angeles Times as an “expertly delivered and received night… another big step in Beck's long, fascinating evolution,” the show’s highlights included Jarvis Cocker’s interpretively danced “Why Did You Make Me Care?" and Jack Black’s borderline frightening “We All Wear Cloaks,” the latter of which makes its recorded debut on the Beck Song Reader album.
1. Moses Sumney Title of this Song
2. Fun Please Leave A Light On When You Go
3. Jeff Tweedy The Wolf is on the Hill
4. Norah Jones Just Noise
5. Lord Huron Last Night You Were A Dream
6. Bob Forest Saint Dude
7. Jack White I’m Down
8. Beck Heaven’s Ladder
9. Juanes Don’t Act Like Your Heart Isn’t Hard
10. Laura Marling Sorry
11. Jarvis Cocker Eyes That Say “I Love You”
12. David Johansen Rough On Rats
13. Jason Isbell Now That Your Dollar Bills Have Sprouted Wings
14. The Last Polka Marc Ribot
15. Eleanor Friedberger Old Shanghai
16. Sparks Why Did You Make Me Care?
17. Swamp Dogg America, Here’s My Boy
18. Jack Black We All Wear Cloaks
19. Loudon Wainwright III Do We? We Do
20. Gabriel Kahane & Ymusic Mutilation Rag